View Single Post
Old September 24 2012, 04:55 AM   #111
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

UFO wrote: View Post

[Rant]For me Star Trek is a space opera not a soap opera. The Uhura relationship with Spock ruins his character. Not that it isn’t being wrecked in other ways, obviously. Spock had a (mostly) impervious and semi detached mystique. It was his thing. If you don’t appreciate at that, fine. But why stuff things up for those who do? Surely there are other characters who aren’t so unique and wouldn’t be as badly, well, "compromised" by an injection of extraneous emotional claptrap? If such is deemed to be "needed" of course. I just don’t get it. Someone goes to the trouble of coming up with one of the most interesting and iconic characters ever and all most people want to do is drag it back to being little different to a production model human being. Bloody philistines![/Rant]
That was the whole point of TOS Spock, dragging him back into being a human being. That's the way it was written. He had several infatuations, whether you want to blame them on spores or other breakdowns to his Vulcan control the stories were about the breakdown of that control. The appeal of the character over the decades was that underneath the logical exterior he had needs. Even Kirk said, "of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

And with all that he will ALWAYS be different than a "production model human being". But he does have love, love for Kirk, attraction to women, needs for connection. It makes sense too that a younger Spock would be less rigid about such matters.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote