Thread: First Flight
View Single Post
Old September 24 2012, 03:17 AM   #18
t_smitts
Commander

Re: First Flight

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Whenever ENT focused on being a genuine 22nd series it worked well.
Agreed. Reintroducing elements that haven't been focused on since the original series (like the Andorians) usually worked really well.

R. Star wrote: View Post
^
Jim Lovell is my favorite astronaught. Always thought it was something of a tragedy that he never got to walk on the moon.
True. From what I've read, he came to be much more enthusiastic about the science aspect of the mission than Alan Shepard. In fact, it was partly because of Shepard that Lovell lost his lunar ticket: When Shepard was returned to active flight status, he wanted the next available flight, which was Apollo 13, but some at NASA felt he hadn't had enough training time to catch up, so Lovell (then expecting to command Apollo 14) was asked to move up a flight.

In fact, some strange twists of fate had something to do with almost all the flights he was assigned to (Gemini 7, Gemini 12, Apollo 8)

I am Surak wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post

As for why Archer became captain? Honestly I always attributed that to old fashioned nepotism, being his father designed the engine.

YES! That and the fact that science always needs to be made palatable to the masses by having a good story about it.
"Son of designer becomes captain" is a good headline.

I also believe that the first man on the moon was chosen for his all American and easy to understand last name. Buzz was definitively just as qualified. Its always all about the story....
Archer seems like someone who might be sensitive to such an accusation and would work hard to prove he was worthy in his own right. (Robinson did talk about how Archer spent long hours in simulators and "did everything by the book").

Actually now that I think about it, I notice some parrallels between Archer and Robinson and John Glenn and Alan Shepard.

Glenn, like Archer, seemed to be the "good boy". He was the all-American, church-going family man, faithful to his wife, but also an exceptional pilot (besides being a veteran of two wars, he set a trans-continental speed record in the late 50's). In at least one instance, he chastised some of his fellow astronauts for their frequent drinking and partying with women. (He later wrote that he wasn't trying to enforce morality, but prevent a scandal that could hurt the then-fledgling program).

I found Robinson similar to Shepard, on the other hand. He was notorious for flat-hatting (flying at extremely low altitude) before joining NASA, which got him in serious trouble on occasion. He was more open to parties and women, and while he was one of the few astronauts from that era that didn't end up getting divorced, he did stray at least once or twice. (Ironically, when a reporter learned of one such incident, it was Glenn who convinced him to keep the story to himself).

And like Robinson, Shepard managed to bag the prize of the first flight. Of course, like Archer, Glenn would earn even greater fame on his mission (the NX-01).
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote