View Single Post
Old September 24 2012, 02:53 AM   #104
BlastHardcheese
Lieutenant Commander

Re: 7X04 The Power Of Three (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Sindatur wrote: View Post
No, that's precisely Amy's point. It's not 2020, and their friends are noticing them aging faster. Have an Anniversary Party, travel 6 months during it, Run off for an adventure and travel 9 months... I think at the very most, we count Amy's 10 years from when she and the Doctor actually started traveling together full time due to her crack in time. Seems like she ages 3 years a year, looked at on average (Though, maybe all but the first two years have been this season alone?)
I'm reminded of a great Cracked article about time travel, and the reasons why it would suck. The first they give is this exact issue with Amy aging 10 years. I don't know if linking other websites is against the rules so I'll quote:

To borrow from Professor Rufus of Bill and Ted University, "No matter what you do, no matter where you go, that clock, the clock in San Dimas is always running."

So you get in your DeLorean and you leave 1985 to go on an adventure in the past. Say it takes you six months to accomplish your goal (ie, nearly making out with your mom) and when you're done, you go back to your own time. Maybe you go back to the very moment you left.

But you are six months older. There's no way around it. The time machine can't adjust your age backward--if it did, it would be altering your brain at the same time, wiping out the memories of what you experienced. No matter how many rejuvenation clinics from the future you visit, you will always age along your own timeline just as certainly as Marty did throughout Back to the Future.

When you get to the core of it, traveling through time is pretty much a deal with the Devil. Yes, it will enable you to save John Connor and get to Muggle Studies on time, but it will shave several months to several years off your life depending on how much you abuse it. These are precious moments from your twilight years that you will never get back: one last weekend with your wife, your granddaughter's graduation and the inevitable cloning of John Candy.

In short, when you've managed to hit age 89 in seven years and you're lying on your deathbed, will it really have been worth seeing everything time had to offer just to miss out on your own life? Sure, things may suck now, but you have no idea what it's going to be like in the future. By rewriting it all, you may just end up missing out on your own God-authored happy ending.

BlastHardcheese is offline   Reply With Quote