View Single Post
Old September 23 2012, 11:27 PM   #53
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Galileo 7 Was it Boma, Spock or is it me?

Lt. Zanne wrote: View Post
Very interesting points. I agree Spock has shown great capacity for command, but I always thought he preferred not to. I also think, that as a TV show in the 1960s, bigotry was explored because of its importance/relevance to the audience. Part of making Spock believably alien would be to have negative reactions toward him ~people can be uncomfortable with what they do not understand and such and so we can see the error of discriminating; we can also see that he is in fact, not like us. He is alien.
But is the error of discrimination clearly illustrated in "The Galileo Seven?" There is obviously discrimination, as multiple crew members- including the Chief Medical Officer- take Spock to task for his insistence on completing repairs to the shuttle before attending to other matters, but the error of this behavior isn't well illustrated. Spock champions logic above emotion, yet he seemingly takes an action influenced by emotion near the episode's conclusion- jettisoning the shuttle's remaining fuel to alert the Enterprise to its presence.

Would it not have made more sense for Spock to devise a solution guided entirely by logic, as this would have made plain his colleagues' error in questioning his judgement? Additionally, would it not have made sense for Boma to apologize to Spock for his behavior, rather than simply disappearing? One can infer that he was either in the brig or preparing for a transfer, but neither is stated on screen, leaving the audience to wonder about his whereabouts.

As an aside, the entire Enterprise crew seems to have "a bug up its ass" about Spock spending any time in the captain's chair, as their behavior in both "The Paradise Syndrome" and "The Tholian Web" suggests. Some have attributed their behavior to poor writing, but it seems as though the crew becomes unruly whenever Kirk is absent. The only time that they seem to fall in line behind Spock is in The Undiscovered Country, as they willingly assist his investigation of Chancellor Gorkon's assassination.
Admiral_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote