View Single Post
Old September 23 2012, 10:26 PM   #108
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Malaika wrote: View Post
He did what was good for him in that moment and he wrote some of his best and most memorable songs after he left the group.
You know, when I think of John Lennon, the first thing that comes to mind is not the Beatles, but Imagine... Hmm. He was still great with the Beatles, though.

I don't like that it's her "relationship with Spock" that does this. I
to be fair,BobOrci was replying to a Spock/Uhura hater who had previously said that her relationship with Spock ruined her character. In context, that's why he said "her relationship with Spock" in his counter-argument
Oh, thank you. In context, this sounds a lot better.

Perhaps that's true for Yoko, but Uhura is no Yoko to me because Yoko was never a part of the original group, Uhura is/was. It's more like how the Beatles get reduced to John and Paul, forgetting George and Ringo, and even that's not an accurate comparison (to me).
Bob's (funny)comparison is a good one, though. Yoko was unfairly blamed for the fall of the beatles even though if someone was to blame it was the beatles themselves and John not her. When John met Yoko he already was "at odds" with the group.
Wasn't it also a group drifting apart thing too. I think I remember reading something about George in India or Tibet or somewhere smoking pipes and meditating, and the group wasn't into that.

At the time, the fans were trying to blame someone and Yoko was the easy target, the outsider, because according to some fans John couldn't have a life outside Kirk..ops... Paul and the Beatles, his life had to revolve around that and nothing else. (rumors said that Paul didn't accept Yoko too )
I wonder if some of it had to do with John practically abandoning his son as well. You can't blame Yoko for that, unless she had something to do with it. That's where I heard "Hey Jude" came from. The good thing is that he was trying to reconnect with his oldest son from a former marriage before he was assassinated.

The same judgment is often used by some trek fans when talking about Nu!Spock who apparently can't be friends with Kirk if he has a girlfriend.
Which makes absolutely no sense to me. In the real world, most guys (people, really) don't just have one or two friends and never have a girlfriend/significant other because of it. Some people have tried to argue the whole "Vulcan" aspect of it, but that seems to be the case with Vulcans too, and they don't limit the not having a life thing to just Spock. Apparently Bones and Kirk aren't supposed to have lives either. That seems questionable to me.

In that, nu!Spock is "changed" compared to TOS!Spock as he's different. Here, Spock and Kirk started as strangers to enemies while Uhura was his friend since, probably, years (similar to Kirk and McCoy who also are best friends here). That's not her fault (or McCoy's) if K/S weren't friends from the first frame of the movie and it surely won't be her fault if they will still have issues. It has nothing to do with her and everything to do with how different K/S are in this reality and the different circumstances where they met each other.
Spock will be still friends with Kirk, of course, but unlike Spock Prime he doesn't have only that friendship now and he shouldn't have only that friendship.
Less things to take for granted makes a more challenging story
IMO
And I actually liked that. I hope it builds from there where everyone is friends, or at least friendly (hey, it is a 5 year mission on one ship), but those tighter bonds from the first film are maintained. That's just my opinion though.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote