View Single Post
Old September 23 2012, 09:25 PM   #83
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X04 The Power Of Three (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
You're right, I'm just being a prudish stick-in-the-mud. Next week I hope River frigs herself off with the Doctor's sonic screwdriver. After all, kids are neither clueness nor innocent.

Just be sure to add that setting to your list of things the sonic screwdriver can do!

Anyway, a meh episode with a lot of really cool elements that just didn't gel or contribute much to the story. I agree with Intrinsical that the black boxes were a metaphor representing all the gadgets and software we let into our lives, but that element and the warning it should have conveyed wasn't explored well. Maybe the idea got written and re-written too many times and lost in all the other stuff thrown in. This was a chili with too many ingredients, and should have focused exclusively on the Ponds and the boxes.

That's not to say I didn't like seeing the Brigadier's daughter ... I loved that revelation. And the orderlies with speaker grills. And the Shakri with the curious fondness for the number seven. But it all served to clutter the story rather than enhance it.

Out of four episodes so far, this one ranks better than "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship", but not as good as "Asylum of the Daleks" or "A Town Called Mercy".