Thread: Ancient Aliens
View Single Post
Old September 23 2012, 07:14 PM   #329
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Re: Ancient Aliens

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I'm just going to quote wikipedia here:

Since the second half of the 20th century, scholarly consensus has held that applying modern notions of race to ancient Egypt is anachronistic. The 2001 Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt states that "Any characterization of race of the ancient Egyptians depends on modern cultural definitions, not on scientific study.”
That was kind of what I was saying above. The Egyptians didn't really identify themselves by race and it's quite possible they weren't one "race" in modern terms. They had a shared culture and shared gods and were ruled by a shared Pharaoh. That's what was really important to them.
I agree, and this is an undercurrent to my main point. Regardless of how one chooses to slice and dice the human pie, there is tons of evidence that the Egyptians were -right from the start- a combination of many cultural, ethnic, racial and other influences.

If this is indeed true, as seems likely, then it just goes to show what can be accomplished when diversity flourishes; the result being one of the, if not the greatest civilizations the world has ever seen!

To insist, in the face of all the evidence to the contrary, that the black race alone was responsible for the greatness that was ancient Egypt, and that it only began to decay with the late influx of (white) immigrants, is to prefer one form of racism over another.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote