View Single Post
Old September 22 2012, 11:00 PM   #407
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

^ Thanks for the defense, but I don't think it is necessary.

Square has a point when s/he says that you have to deal with the responses when you post your opinions publicly. And, as I have said a couple of times in the past that's all I see reviews as: the opinion of one person. It's the nature of mankind that we don't agree on everything. And if Square chooses to voice his disagreement in the manner he did, I guess that says more about him/her than about me/my review.

RE his points of criticism:

If Square perceives having one sentence in this short excerpt of the significantly longer review speculating about future novels as reviewing them, than that is his/her opinion, and I'm also free to strongly disagree.

Square wrote: View Post
They have "chemistry" in the novels because the novels say they do.
All they have because "the novels say they do" is a relationship.

Janeway and Chakotay just don't work as a couple in my opinion. One of the main problems is probably that Chakotay to me has been little more than a cardboard cut-out character-wise for the majority of the series. Kirsten has remedied that to a certain extent in her previous novels, but it's still hard for me to see what a strong woman like Janeway would see in him.

And regarding your implications that I'm against relationships in Trek novels as a whole, I would appreciate if you wouldn't put words into my mouth, only because I don't agree with one specific pairing.
Defcon is online now   Reply With Quote