View Single Post
Old September 22 2012, 09:46 PM   #406
JD
Admiral

Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Square wrote: View Post
Defcon wrote: View Post
My review of the novel is now up over at Unreality SF: http://unreality-sf.net/2012/09/18/s...l-tide-review/
Ummmmm....yeah.

I think what actually did so was that at the end, it felt to me as if the series had returned too closely to the TV seriesí status quo, and as a result I feel that the state of affairs is a lot less interesting after the events of The Eternal Tide than it was after Children of the Storm, and a lot of the good work done in the last few novels has been undone in the process. Iím aware that many of the characters Beyer developed over the last few novels ares still there even while several of the ships arenít, but I doubt that Starfleet has the resources to replenish the fleet with new ships, so I fear that even if the characters return the fleet will have less diverse settings as a result.
I also review novels that haven't even been written yet.

And I really wish people would stop boo-hooing about character relationships in Trek novels. J/C is a popular 'ship and the novels have been setting it up since Homecoming. They have "chemistry" in the novels because the novels say they do. Feel free to focus your efforts on "hard" sci-fi from now on, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I've been reading Defcon's reviews for a while now, and even though I don't always agree with him, I think he's a very good reviewer. There was no need for the reaction you had. Sure, you can disagree with him, you just don't need to be rude about it.