View Single Post
Old September 22 2012, 11:29 AM   #47
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile
Re: Did Insurrection kill the TNG franchise?

DAYoung wrote: View Post
I know little of the behind-the-scenes guff, but Insurrection was a poor film, and turned many film-goers--fans and otherwise--off the franchise.

Star Trek has always been prone to wooden acting, clumsy dialogue, rushed plotting, limited character development and awful mawkishness.

Generations and First Contact had bits of these, but they were balanced by fun, action, better-than-average scripts and acting, or workable plots.

Insurrection had most of the vices with few of the virtues. Dull characters, sentimental plotting, ham-fisted characterisation, flat dialogue.

We know Frakes was capable of much better. Perhaps he did his best with a poor script, little studio enthusiasm. I don't know.

Having said all this, the films' takings, adjusted for inflation, put ST: TMP and ST: TVH under Abrams' 2009 film. Which is odd, as they were not, in my opinion, superior to ST: TWK or ST: TUC.
It also seemed to me that no-one could be bothered, everything seemed so laid back. At least with Nemesis they tried to make a decent movie.
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote