View Single Post
Old September 22 2012, 01:18 AM   #16
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: How did TMP get a G rating?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
It's a missed opportunity that nothing in the film suggests that any such resonance is actually intentional.
I think everything combines to tell us: space travel is both exciting and very, very dangerous. Humanity will prevail. And can technology be trusted.

The resonance is there. And intentional. I seem to recall many mentions in the articles of the day mentioning Director Robert Wise's vision for the future portrayed by the movie. "The Andromeda Strain" is eerily similar in many ways. It's partly why he was chosen for the job.
I wasn't speaking just of danger in the abstract, or of the fallibility of technology, so I'm not convinced that I was sufficiently clear in what I was referring to.

The Andromeda Strain is one my favorite science fiction movies. The Day the Earth Stood Still is great fun, too. I'd watch a double feature of both of them back to back ten times over before sitting through the entirety of TMP once, anymore, especially the DE, although parts of TMP are magnificent, and I rewatch them all the time (transporter accident included).