View Single Post
Old September 21 2012, 12:26 PM   #1582
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

The gender comments are interesting as the contrast is given between del Toro's vampires and 'traditional' 'tuxedo-clad studs,' which seems a pretty explicit nod to Bela Lugosi's Dracula, who comes from a movie I haven't often heard said to skew female.
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Another vampire series, but don't worry, it's on FX so it'll be for guys. Damon Salvatore types need not apply!
You forgot to mention it's by Guillermo 'Pan's Labyrinth' del Toro, which pretty much guarantees I'll at least watch the pilot.

He cited everything from Luther to Sons Of Anarchy, Game Of Thrones, The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Itís Always Sunny In Philadelphia and Justified as influences.
But not The Walking Dead? Betcha that series above all is why this show is being made.
In fairness, of the shows on that list I've seen (basically all but Luther, Sons of Anarchy and Philadelphia) I'd consider them all better TV shows than Walking Dead.

But sure, the success of Walking Dead (and maybe another genre TV series based on a novel series - give you a hint, it's mentioned in the above list) is no doubt why this got greenlit... but doesn't mean it needs to faff about with underwritten characters.

Well, we'll see.