View Single Post
Old September 21 2012, 01:58 AM   #355
Mars
Captain

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
My comment was directed at the statement "You got to admit the concept of the justice league is fairly juvenile."
Oh. I didn't notice that. Perhaps because it doesn't make any sense. It's a fantasy concept, but that doesn't make it intrinsically juvenile. Mars was completely off base with that statement.

Besides, the JL was the descendant of the Justice Society from the '40s, and in those days, while comics were certainly written to be accessible for children, they were by no means exclusively for children. They didn't really have the same sense of narrowcasting we have today, that notion that something made with children in mind is somehow excluding adults. Things like comics and theatrical cartoon shorts were made with both children and adults in mind, and were highly popular among both. It's true that Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent led to self-imposed industry censorship that stripped comics of much of their adult appeal in the '50s and '60s, but I don't think it's fair to say that the concept of the JSA or JLA was intrinsically aimed at children. Heck, the concept of legendary superhuman heroes banding together in a common cause goes back to the ancient myth of Jason and the Argonauts, or to Gilgamesh teaming up with Enkidu.
I believe the idea was that comic books were a kind of picture book, thereby comparable to such works as The Cat in the Hat, and those of Clifford the giant red dog. When I was young and just learning to read, I had lots of picture books including some of various Grimm Faerie Tales, those picture books were easier for me to comprehend because it contained fewer words and had pictures so I could imagine the situation being described in text. I am of the older generation (45 years old) and I have to admit, getting caught reading a comic book is still something of an embarrassment to me. I read novels without pictures just fine, but sometimes those comic book stories are a bit intriguing, its a pity these characters aren't written about more often in novel form, the comic book format is somewhat limiting, and I find the stories in them sometimes kind of compressed, because the artists and authors have only so many frames to tell their story in, comic book heroes tend to be 90% punch and 10% talk. In a novel, superheroes can be more philosophical, there is still plenty of action, but there is also a lot of mystery solving, the structure is closer to a James Bond Movie, the characters try to figure things out, then they get in trouble and have to use their superpowers to get out of it. I think it took the comic book publishers a while to realize that adults were also reading their books, then we start having comic books that get a bit too graphic for children.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote