View Single Post
Old September 20 2012, 06:25 PM   #350
Christopher
Writer

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
My comment was directed at the statement "You got to admit the concept of the justice league is fairly juvenile."
Oh. I didn't notice that. Perhaps because it doesn't make any sense. It's a fantasy concept, but that doesn't make it intrinsically juvenile. Mars was completely off base with that statement.

Besides, the JL was the descendant of the Justice Society from the '40s, and in those days, while comics were certainly written to be accessible for children, they were by no means exclusively for children. They didn't really have the same sense of narrowcasting we have today, that notion that something made with children in mind is somehow excluding adults. Things like comics and theatrical cartoon shorts were made with both children and adults in mind, and were highly popular among both. It's true that Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent led to self-imposed industry censorship that stripped comics of much of their adult appeal in the '50s and '60s, but I don't think it's fair to say that the concept of the JSA or JLA was intrinsically aimed at children. Heck, the concept of legendary superhuman heroes banding together in a common cause goes back to the ancient myth of Jason and the Argonauts, or to Gilgamesh teaming up with Enkidu.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote