View Single Post
Old September 20 2012, 04:13 PM   #1042
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

259. Resident Evil: Retribution: (✩✩½) - Theatre - Not a good installment in the series. Couldn't follow the story. Nice to see some old faces though. More discussion here.

260. Grown Ups: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - A group of old friends who are now grown up with families get together to spend time at a summer cabin. No wacky hijinks, just fun and family time with a bit of humor. Stars a lot of SNL alums like Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider and David Spade. Paul Blart, Mall Cop is also there. I remember when this movie first came out, Chris Rock said that the cast went out to see The Hangover during filming and realized that they have to step up their game. I'd say the end result is about as good.

261. Extract: (✩✩✩✩) - Live TV - Jason Bateman plays a man who runs his own company as he deals with both business and personal issues that include a former employee who wants to sue, a young attractive con artist, a sexless marriage, an annoying neighbor and his best friend who's there through it all. Also stars Kristen Wiig, Ben Affleck, JK Simmons and Mila Kunis. This one was made by Mike Judge, who brought us Office Space. It had the same vibe and a lot of honest humor. I liked it. Surprisingly, I never heard of it until it came on TV this past weekend. Reading up on the movie, it looks like it was deliberately kept under the radar of the studio system.

262. Niagara: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - Murder and intrigue as a couple go on their honeymoon to Niagara Falls. Stars Marilyn Monroe. Can't say this one wowed me, but I liked seeing a movie set on the Canadian side of the falls.

263. New York, I Love You: (✩✩✩✩✩) - Live TV - Short stories set in New York, many of which had some interesting twists. This one had a large all-star cast and each segment was written and drected by a different person. A movie that's a collection of stories doesn't by definition have a cohesive narrative, but the ending did provide some a connection and the whole thing was actually quite good and very engaging. I can find little fault with this movie.

264. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li: (✩✩✩) - DVD - Thin story, but visually stunning with it's crisp cinematography and South Asian locales. Kristen Kreuk plays the titular character with the villain played by Neal McDonough. Michael Clark Duncan, Chris Klein and Moon Bloodgood are also there.

265. Katy Perry: Part of Me: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - A Documentary film covering Katy Perry's 2011 world tour. We get both in-concert and behind-the-scenes footage of her tour along with interviews and a bit of background on her life. If you like Katy Perry, you'll find this to be an engaging piece. It's a bit topical though and doesn't delve too deeply into things. It also gets more compelling towards the end when it touches on her marriage to Russell Brand falling apart. You really feel for her there. It also made me wonder if her marriage was staged just for this movie. Maybe that's absurd and I don't mean to sound cynical, but it did cross my mind for a second or two. That's because this wouldn't have been much of a movie without that event.

266. Take This Waltz: (✩✩✩✩✩) - On Demand - A young woman is dissatistifed with her marriage and hits it off with a guy she met. Stars Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen, Luke Kirby and Sarah Silverman. Reviews were mostly good, but I found it to be a cut above and I'm giving it the highest score I can. Out of the 267 movies I've seen this year, this is only the 4th to get such a score. The story is compelling with a lot of emotional truth, Michelle Williams really shines in what is the best role I've seen her in to date and Seth Rogen plays it straight, yet a bit of his usual shtick comes through here and there. And of course, it's set in Toronto. The movie looks drab at first, but you'll see that it fits the tone and subject matter of the movie very well. I also started off wishing that Luke Kirby played the husband with Rogen as the new guy, but in the end, the choice that was made was the right one. It all comes together in the end.

Theatre: 15
DVD/Blu-Ray: 97
Live TV: 106
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 39
Internet: 4
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote