Thread: A Warp Fighter
View Single Post
Old September 20 2012, 04:50 AM   #120
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: A Warp Fighter

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
A missile capable of warp would be a fairly natural thing for Starfleet to have, though - and warp capacity for Starfleet hardware is generally indicated by the presence of nacelles.

Cardassians, of course, needed no stinking nacelles for their warp-capable missile. Then again, their ships don't use nacelles, either.

I'm sort of fancying a compromise interpretation here: those things in "BoBW" could well be former small starships, of "corvette" or "patrol boat" size judging by how they aren't invisibly small against the multi-kilometer Cube - but converted into suicide drones by removal of crew and addition of explosives. We do see the exact same design up close in "New Ground", after all, serving as a test vessel for the warp soliton, and the detailing there suggests a relatively substantial craft or vessel. (Also note the cameo in the "Unification" junkyard!)

Timo Saloniemi
Photon torpedoes seem to get by just fine without nacelles.
And depending on who you ask, a photon torpedo IS a disembodied warp nacelle.

Nevertheless, while the nacelle argument does seem reasonable, especially for a craft larger than a photon torpedo, my purpose in that constructive criticism was simply to point out that certain types of profiles suggest unmanned vehicle more so than others, simply because of the tropes involved. In the case of this profile, it's hard to get a read on it.
Other than producer's intent, of course. Basically, we know they're missiles because they were INTENDED to be missiles. If there was any sort of crew on board, it would just be a couple of tribbles that happened to crawl into the number three impulse manifold before it launched.