View Single Post
Old September 20 2012, 04:43 AM   #35
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Galileo 7 Was it Boma, Spock or is it me?

Lt. Zanne wrote: View Post
Spock always said he never wanted command, never wanted to be captain, etc. I think he knew he was not really cut out for that type of position.
...the episode was exploring what it took to command ~ not just superior knowledge and ability to make decisions, but an ability to read and understand people - not just human - because Spock mis read not just his crew, but the species that lived on the planet and attacked them.
Uneven writing. Spock shows much more awareness of the nuances of command in some of the earliest episodes: Corbomite, and Enemy Within. Spock in Corbomite and Balance of Terror (more so in Corbomite) also showed an ability to "read" aliens, anticipate how their tactical actions would be perceived.
(I'm thinking of Spock's comment about "flypaper" in Corbomite, and his insistence in Balance that the Romulans must not be allowed to get back home and trumpet their success.)

The Spock from those early episodes was quite capable of command. The Spock from many of the later episodes was not. To me, that is a loss, a depletion of his character

Lt. Zanne wrote:
Also too, there was at times in other episodes, an underlying understanding that Spock was discriminated against because he was half Vulcan and I thought that was partly why the Galileo crew was not respectful of him.
Like Stiles in Balance of Terror? Rough stuff.

That would mean that the Enterprise senior officers had that kind of bigotry in them. I have some trouble swallowing that. Also, the Federation itself seems to be without a streak of institutional bigotry. They have (had) a starship crewed entirely by Vulcans. Later, M'ress was a respected officer. Stiles stands out from the other officers and crew, which implies that his bigotry was an exception.

I don't know if you're right about that. Do you have other examples?
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote