View Single Post
Old September 20 2012, 03:02 AM   #63
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Re: Prime Directive problem with "Homeward"

BillJ wrote: View Post
Vanyel wrote: View Post

And how are these societies being exploited? They are being watched, no interference was done except in the case of the Boral and the Ba'ku.
And the Mintakans. And the Malcorians. And I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.
The Mintakans were unaware they were being observed until the duck blind had a systems failure. The Malcorians are a warp capable society. At the end of the episode they chose to be left alone and as far we can tell, since their head of state told the Federation to go away it did taking all its observers with it. What Picard told Durken was that the Federation prefers a controlled meeting over a chance meeting in space. Indeed, making first contact could protect the newly warp capable world from threats like the Cardsassians or other conquerors.

Did the Federation ask anyone for permission to invade these people's space and infiltrate their societies? The Federation is making a unilateral decision that their search for knowledge trumps these species rights to common courtesy. The Federation is making a unilateral decision on what's the right course for these people without simply asking them.
Common courtesy is upheld by first contact, letting the government know they are there, that the Federation is willing to help and to protect, or to leave and not come back until invited.

Not to mention that no operation is ever one-hundred percent "clean". Who knows what impact them simply setting foot on a pre-warp world can have in the long run.
Thank you for making my point for not moving the Boraal. Who knows what the impact will be to the new world they are put on will be.

It's neat that the Prime Directive prevents you from contacting these species and also prevents you from helping them. It allows the Federation to engage in spying on these worlds while acting like they have a moral high ground.
Spying or learning? Spying implies a sinister intent, one not there. Only in Insurrection is there a sinister intent.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote