View Single Post
Old September 20 2012, 01:03 AM   #998
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Saul wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Of course, I know about the change in directors. It's largely irrelevant. Nothing I said is unfair. Let's not forget that he was going to produce this thing even when Del Toro was gonna direct it.
And Steven Spielberg was producer on Transformers. Did he have any effect on how those films turned out?

It's been well over a decade since Jackson has made a film based on an original idea.
You could say the same for Spielberg since he made films that were sequels, based on true stories or on novels. But original can be what the Director puts into it himself.

Which will probably be a very good film.

As I originally said, he stepped in to Direct as things were going tits up on the project and he didn't want to see that happen. I don't see that as a refusal to challenge himself.

It was going to be two.

What??
and an inability to check his fat ego at the door.
You really dislike this guy....

If he had, his King Kong wouldn't have been as bloated as it was.
Im guessing you'd probably find another reason to say he had a fat ego no matter what he did.

Well I see him as a film maker with a genuine interest and love for the films he makes. That doesn't make him a perfect film maker but at least he wants to make a film for reasons other than making as much cash as possible and not giving a shit about source material.
You know what? It probably will be a pretty good movie. That remains to be seen. Even if it is, it changes nothing about the truth of what I said. He's a decent talent in an industry that's desperate for talent and instead of going boldly forward, he's going backwards.. and the 48 fps 3-D crap is all gimmicks and can't replace originality in film-making. t

My mom eventually saw the LOTR films on DVD and she liked them. But her memories are with the Hobbit,, a short simple story that allowed her to to enter another world when taking breaks from caring for her kids. She'd been looking forward to the film, but I'm not sure if she would be up for sticking it out for three films. Interesting, how the cash cow idea that they had to string this along might backfire for some of their target audience.