View Single Post
Old September 19 2012, 11:31 PM   #29
JD
Admiral

Re: What if... ETERNAL TIDE SPOILERS

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, again, I think the pivotal moment in that climactic scene is the one that tends to get overlooked, where Kirk climbed right out on the bridge after he'd almost fallen off it to his death. Most other people couldn't have done that. They would've hesitated to go back out on that bridge after barely getting off it alive, or would've wasted time trying to find some other way to get the remote, and thus wouldn't have been able to deactivate the cloak in time for Picard to prevent the launch. It took Kirk's special blend of courage, sense of duty, and sheer recklessness to be able to unhesitatingly go back out on that rickety bridge, and that's what made the difference.
I can see that. I just think it would have been more interesting if they had made it more personal for Kirk. Like if they had brought back one of the TOS villains, or had Spock or McCoy in danger. Just something that would have made Kirk's presence more important.