View Single Post
Old September 19 2012, 10:05 PM   #991
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Of course, I know about the change in directors. It's largely irrelevant. Nothing I said is unfair. Let's not forget that he was going to produce this thing even when Del Toro was gonna direct it.
And Steven Spielberg was producer on Transformers. Did he have any effect on how those films turned out?

It's been well over a decade since Jackson has made a film based on an original idea.
You could say the same for Spielberg since he made films that were sequels, based on true stories or on novels. But original can be what the Director puts into it himself.

Films go through changes in development, and what matters is what we end up with.
Which will probably be a very good film.

That might not be his thing, but it really shows his limitations when he goes back to LOTR because it worked the first time. Yes, he's like Lucas in his refusal to challenge himself now.
As I originally said, he stepped in to Direct as things were going tits up on the project and he didn't want to see that happen. I don't see that as a refusal to challenge himself.

By the way, I'll bet you Del Toro would have stuck to the simplicity of the story and kept it to one, maybe two films.
It was going to be two.

Jackson has a huge ego
What??
and an inability to check his fat ego at the door.
You really dislike this guy....

If he had, his King Kong wouldn't have been as bloated as it was.
Im guessing you'd probably find another reason to say he had a fat ego no matter what he did.

Well I see him as a film maker with a genuine interest and love for the films he makes. That doesn't make him a perfect film maker but at least he wants to make a film for reasons other than making as much cash as possible and not giving a shit about source material.