View Single Post
Old September 19 2012, 08:34 PM   #31
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Has the Blood & Chrome miniseries aired yet?

Mars wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Mars wrote: View Post

Vampire shows are cheap, "blah blah blah, I vant to suck your blood!"

Battlestar Galactica was a greater success than the original, and they actually ended the show proper rather than just go into a rerun loop as the original did in the 1970s.

You don't get to see many space operas these days, mostly its shows about modern time investigators running into weird stuff, or some demons or vampires. SyFy is living in the shadow of its former self, if it goes with the cheap and the safe people wonder why it doesn't do shows like Battlestar Galactica anymore.
NuBSG wasn't really more successful than the original. The original got decent ratings, but, was too expensive, so it was cancelled. SyFy kept renewing NuBSG at a loss, for the prestige, because it was a critic darling. If not for the Prestige of Critical praise, NuBSG wouldn't have lasted any longer than TOS BSG, because it was too expensive for the ratings it brought in.

I am definitely happy that NuBSG was allowed to finish it's story, but, that's to SyFy's credit for sticking with it so long, despite it being a loser financially
Cause it didn't have "planet of the week" episodes with humanoid aliens with bumps on their heads? BSG was more intelligent with less rubber science than most typical space operas.
I'm not arguing the quality NuBSG absolutely was art, and deserved all it's critical priase. But, that doesn't make it financially successful. If it's not financially successful, it won't last long, unless, in the case of BSG they were willing to take the loss in order to gain the prestige for keeping the show on the air long enough for it to play out. That kind of backfired on them, though, because despite their loyalty to those fans, they did not get the loyalty back from the fans.

I won't knock TOS BSG, though, because I do have a nostalgic affection for it

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?