View Single Post
Old September 19 2012, 04:35 PM   #101
Mars
Captain

Re: My rambling thoughts on BSG after a full series run-through

stj wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
But, it still Brings up the fact, that Six's "One True God" manipulated events to Save the Humans in the end, so, both the Polytheists, and the "Muslim" Cylons, got screwed, since it was the "Muslim" Cylon "One True God" that delivered The Humans (Who worshiped Poly-Gods") to their Promised Land and Smited (Smote?) Cavill and his followers
Just as the Jewish god Yahweh (also transliterated from the Hebrew as Jehovah) is held by Christians to be the same god as the Trinity, Muslims hold Allah to be the same god worshipped by both Jews and Christians, except their teachings from Muhammad have not been corrupted.

Christian Arabs call God "Allah" in Arabic, because in Arabic, "Allah" means the same thing as we English-speakers mean when we say "God." Christians for a long time agreed that Islam was not a heathen religion but a heresy, a corrupted form of worship of God. References to an "Abrahamic" god still point to the theological identity of the Jewish, Christian and Muslim god, whose names in Hebrew, English and Arabic are variously Yahweh, God and Allah. (Except of course when the Jewish god is called Elohim, which is actually plural. We might say in English, the Gods.)

Protestants look forward to God killing all the Jews who haven't converted to Jesus-worship as well as following the Law. The Cylon God turning out to be a formally plural (but really singular) Gods and smiting his false worshippers the Cylons really is very much the same thing.

My experience has been that writers and producers who want to mess around with Big Ideas without bothering to actually think just end up artlessly regurgitating crude, nasty ideas, even ones that give the lie to every humane belief they thought they possessed. When the ideas are about religion, it is essential to take a critical view. Remember, "critical" does not just mean "negative." It means as objective and complete and comparative as possible.

The series absolutely refused to take the religious issues it raised at all seriously, just as 9/11 didn't inspire anything but blanket condemnation of Islam and Muslims personally. I would say for about the same reasons. But even in the later stages, when losing the war in Iraq made the 9/11 story much less useful for making the shananigans seem meaningful, the series refused to take its own issues seriously.

I think it's because they had weird ideas about "respecting" religion. They may have called it allowing the viewer to make his or her own choice. Or they may have even boasted of being intellectually superior in their ability to see shades of grey (or substitute other dimwitted cliche of your choice.) I believe we should just put it down to moral cowardice. If you try to be honest about fictional situtation, your viewers will always be able to draw their own conclusions.
I think you are reading a lot into those "tea leaves". I haven't seen any mention of 9/11 in the television series, Cylons might be an allegory to terrorists perhaps, in that terrorists "look, act, and feel human, and there are many copies".

I also want to know in what way religion is not taken seriously in BSG, it did have a head Cylon who turned out to be an Angel and not actually in Baltar's head in the first place, also Starbuck apparently came back as an Angel after dying by plunging into a gas giant and somehow ending up dead on Cylon Earth.