View Single Post
Old September 17 2012, 11:40 PM   #14
Kataaran
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What if... ETERNAL TIDE SPOILERS

Christopher wrote: View Post
Pardon me for being harsh, but having suffered the death of my father only a couple of years ago, I feel quite strongly about this: I'm frankly repulsed by the concept that death should be portrayed as "grand" or good in any way. Death is an ugly, painful, frustrating thing. It hurts. It's supposed to. Glamorizing death is an idea that disgusts me. We should be angry when the characters we care about are taken from us. We should feel that it's a waste and a lost opportunity. Because that's an honest portrayal of what death is. Painting it as some noble, grand, triumphant thing that we can feel good about is simply a lie. We should celebrate the lives of the people we care about. That's the part that can be grand and noble and worthy of our admiration.
I totally agree with this. I too lost my dad recently. I was angry; I'm still angry, because someone took him away. It's effected me in that I don't want my chosen form of escapism (reading) to remind me of the utter, awfulness that goes on in real life. I can understand that other people feel completely the opposite but to me heroic or noble deaths don't mean anything, since dead is dead and that's the bit the living have to deal with. Comic / cheesy action flick deaths are one thing but the aftermath of death written well I find hard to deal with, because all it ends up doing is taking me back to the room with my once tall, impossible to ignore dad and seeing the small, almost insect-like, muscle- and tendon-shortened corpse that he was the last time I saw him.

I guess that's actually a complement, that the death written about in Star Trek books can do that to me.

Christopher, I'm sorry for your loss.
Kataaran is offline   Reply With Quote