View Single Post
Old September 17 2012, 01:55 PM   #47
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: The Top 40 Male Film Lead Actors of all Time

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I always wondered about the Oscar Tommy Lee Jones got for The Fugitive. I mean, yeah, it was great, and I loved him in it, but an Academy Award for it? Just never occured to me.
I agree. In fact, if you look at the other performances that year - Pete Postlethwaite for In the Name of the Father, John Malkovich for In the Line of Fire, Leo DiCaprio for What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Ralph Fiennes for Schindler's List - I would say Tommy Lee's performance, enjoyable as it was, was by some way the slightest and least deserving.

And I can't believe I omitted Daniel Day-Lewis and Johnny Depp in my list of current stars who are likely to be in such a list in 40 years.

I agree with Starkers re Ralph Fiennes on the quality of his acting, though he seems to have (deliberately?) moved away from leading man roles and into interesting character roles. Certainly, when you compare his monster Goeth in Schindler or his gangster in In Bruges with his naive but greedy character in Quiz Show, it's hard to believe it's the one man.