View Single Post
Old September 17 2012, 05:24 AM   #7
Dream
Admiral

Re: If star trek 2 is successful could CBS make more star trek attract

mswood wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't think the powers that be will be in any hurry to double dip again after the clear change in Trek's theatrical business when TNG was airing.

Why watch for payment when you can watch for free, and while not everyone feels that way certainly, there is absolute evidence in the immediate impact TNG had on the theatrical side of Trek when it started.
Overexposure certainly hurt Trek near the end. I really had hoped they would wait until TNG was over before starting DS9, but Paramount got greedy! Two Trek show on at the same time never felt right to me.

But realistically with the tv business model under going such dramatic changes, its harder and harder and harder for a production to be a viable success, and like it or not having a Star Trek series is expensive, far more then the typical hour long drama.
TNG was extremely lucky when it first aired first-run syndication, no interference from networks on the writing, and it usually aired alongside high rated broadcast show. Best of Both Worlds!

That would never work today because first-run syndication shows are dead right now along with space opera shows.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote