View Single Post
Old September 16 2012, 11:14 PM   #132
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

I think it looks fine, honestly -- maybe even good. I have no idea how it's going to be presented in the movie, but that looks exactly like something that a modern-day mega-sized corporation would build if they designed a robot cop through focus groups.

Him looking like something out of a super hero movie is actually rather perfect, because that would be the easiest way to sell him to the public. Think about it: Would you rather the public view your company's new crime against nature, complete with military-grade weaponry, as a walking murder machine, or as a super hero? One is something that could generate the wrong kind of publicity, while with the other you can develop a successful brand with all kinds of merchandise opportunities.

I'm glad that this production seems to be doing something different with the concept. This definitely feels like they're trying to capture the point of RoboCop, rather than just lazily copying the style that worked in the '80s. There's no reason to produce a 1:1 remake of the original with more advanced special effects; we have the original film for that. We are three decades removed from the 1980s, and the Cold War and War on Drugs are more or less over, won by capitalism and gangsters, respectively. The film won't work if it doesn't adjust the aesthetic and story.

Padilha is easily one of my favorite directors working today, so I'll wait and see some actual footage before I start running for the hills and screaming bloody murder.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGalle..._RoboCop_2.jpg

Well I thought that was how he actually looks like in the film when he takes the helmet off.
He's stepping out of his trailer between shots, that's clearly not the helmet-less makeup. Peter Weller wasn't wearing the third-act makeup underneath the helmet on the original film, either:

Timby is offline   Reply With Quote