View Single Post
Old September 16 2012, 07:41 PM   #377
Christopher
Writer

Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Halliwell wrote: View Post
Maybe as far as canon and but even that's a cheat since the 2009 movies has Kirk alive and well. And I find the well he's dead in the novelverse argument light a well because Simon and Shuster brought Kirk back from the dead not two years later with The Return by Williams Shatner. They can scream all they want that it's not the same continuity but they sold a line of books that brought back Kirk. Fans of his could read stories with him in it while fans of KJ could not.
Let's fact-check that, shall we? Facts are cool.

Before Dishonor was published in October 2007; The Eternal Tide came out in September 2012, just under five years later. In between, we saw Kathryn Janeway at least briefly in the following works:

Alien Spotlight: Borg -- Jan. 2008
Myriad Universes: Infinity's Prism: Places of Exile -- Aug. 2008
Myriad Universes: Echoes and Refractions: A Gutted World -- Sep. 2008
Full Circle -- Apr. 2009
DTI: Watching the Clock -- May 2010

Granted, it's not a wealth of material, and three of them are brief appearances, but the other two are major, featured roles in Voyager novels. And that's five appearances in three years, which is more than most DS9 characters managed to get in that same timespan. For a character who was dead in the main continuity, that's not bad. So there certainly wasn't some kind of absolute ban on Janeway fiction. And I should know, since I'm the one who wrote 40% of the listed works. I've certainly done my part to keep her visible during this supposed period when her fans "could not" read about her.

Of course, let's keep in mind that she's back now, so what is there to complain about anymore?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote