View Single Post
Old September 16 2012, 01:34 PM   #372
Mage
Commodore

Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
I think it's wrong to say that just because the captain, as a character, is listed first in the credits it automatically means the show is about the captain, and the rest of the characters are only sidekicks.... The Trek shows are not about captains and their underlings, they are about a group of people.
Exactly. Sisko was listed first in DS9's credits, but there were plenty of episodes that he was barely in. All the modern Trek shows have been intended as ensemble shows, although ENT ended up being less so than its predecessors. The captain (or commander, in early DS9) was the central character, the anchor of the ensemble, but the shows were never built entirely around their captains. The only Trek series that was meant to be centered overwhelmingly on its captain was TOS, and that didn't work out because Spock was the breakout character and Kirk ended up having to ride his coattails.
I agree! Although, I do feel that Voyager lost the ensemble-part somewhere during season 5, where it felt like it was mostly Seven, The Doctor and Janeway. But even so, the earlier seasons of Voyager focused on the cast as a whole, not just the captain.