View Single Post
Old September 15 2012, 11:58 AM   #37
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: The Gimmicky Cameos Are Back! (Minor Spoilers)

Sci wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Meredith Vieira in "The Wedding of River Song."
Who?
That's exactly what I said when Sir Patrick Moore appeared in "The Eleventh Hour."

Clearly some gimmicky cameos are aimed at audiences on specific sides of the Atlantic.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
The difference is that in 20 years or whatever, people watching Vincent and the Doctor will either know that Bill Nighy is/ was a well-known actor or will just see him as one of the cast. His acting will stand the test of time.

Whereas when they see, for example, Alan Sugar playing Alan Sugar, they'll go 'Who's Alan Sugar and what's the in-joke here meant to be?'

His cameo is a 'contemporary' cameo for modern viewers, which will be completely lost on many or most future viewers.
So when Alfred Hitchcock appeared in his films, that wasn't a cameo just because we still remember who he was decades later?
I didn't say that they weren't cameos. But I'm saying that there's a difference between cameos from well-known actors playing fictional roles and non-actors turning up to play fictional versions of themselves.

The Hitch thing is a separate category again. The director in his own movie, in non-speaking roles (often just recognised by his silhouette) which became a motif of his movies.

They're all types of cameo but all I'm saying is that I personally would view the Alan Sugar type ones as more of a gimmicky and silly type than the Bill Nighy type. Bill Nighy's character served the story and would have worked regardless of who played the role. The famous people playing themselves have clearly been chosen so that viewers will go 'Oh, there's Famous Person as Famous Person!'

Last edited by Captaindemotion; September 15 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Captaindemotion is online now   Reply With Quote