View Single Post
Old September 15 2012, 06:00 AM   #1029
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

245. The Other Guys: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson are two of the biggest badass cops around. Real heroes. Then there are the other guys... Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, two wannabes who take up the mantle when our big time heroes get themselves killed. This movie is funny and absurd with a lot of good moments and the usual Will Ferrell brand of humor. Check it out.

246. The Pregnancy Project: (✩✩½) - Live TV - A straight-A high school student decides to fake a pregnancy as part of a school project in order to make a few points about teen pregnancy. Stars Alexa Vega from the Spy Kids movies. It's an ill conceived project that doesn't have a strong moral at the end, but it's watchable and it's the kind of thing where you want to see what happens.

247. The Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations: (✩✩✩) - DVD - Didn't even know there was a third installment until a week or so ago. This time, a detective is using his ability to find the person who's been killing women over the years. Diminishing returns, being number 3 and all, but I liked it as something to watch. Excellent production values too. Don't know why they gave this one a subtitle.

248. The Goods: Live Hard. Sell Hard.: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A team of salesmen are called in to save a struggling car dealership. Lots of good humor. I especially liked that some of that humor was honest and non-PC. For example, we get something to the effect of... "They married and lived happily ever after. Then got divorced 2 years later." That kind of stuff. Will Ferrell doesn't star in the movie, but when I saw that his production company was making this, I knew he'd put in an appearance. It also had the usual cohorts of comedy...

249. Unknown: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - Liam Neeson plays a guy who goes to a conference in Germany with is wife, then ends up in an accident followed by four days of in a coma. Upon trying to return to the conference and his wife, he finds that his life has been stollen by someone else and his wife doesn't know who he is. Reminded me a bit of Nowhere Man. It's a decent action thriller and you'll get answers to what's going on.

250. Thunderbird 6: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - International Rescue deals with an experimental airship while one of their team members tries to come up with a new vehicle that will become the 6th Thunderbird. Impressive puppet work.

251. Resident Evil: Afterlife: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - I wasn't expecting much, but found this to be quite good for one of these types of movies. Jovovich and Larter were hot as always and the action and setting were pretty good. Can't wait for the next one this weekend.

252. Extraordinary Measures: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - A father takes matters into his own hands and teams up with a researcher to find a workable treatment for his children who have a genetic disorder. Based on a true story. Stars Brendan Fraser and Harrison Ford. Gripping, heartfelt and it shows how money-driven the drug industry is, but apparently lots of liberties were taken to make the movie "entertaining".

253. The Five-Year Engagement: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A couple gets engaged, but they put the actual wedding on hold as life and career choices take precedence. Stars Jason Segel and Emily Blunt. Lots of good humor and poignant moments.

254. Deception: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A nerdy accountant meets a super cool guy who introduces him to a secret list that gives him access to busy professionals who meet up for anonymous sex. Eventually, something goes wrong and our accountant soon finds himself in a bind. Stars Ewan McGreggor, Hugh Jackman and Michelle Williams. It's a pretty good thriller with an ending where things fall apart just a bit. Still, it's worth a watch. It'll hook ya.

255. Fail Safe: (✩✩✩½) - DVD - Got this 2000 movie after having seen the 1964 version. It has an all-star cast that includes George Clooney, Sam Elliott, Richard Dreyfuss, Noah Wyle, Harvey Keitel, James Cromwell, Don Cheatle, Hank Azaria and Brian Dennehy. It played out exactly like it's 1964 conterpart, it was in black & white and it looked like a stage play (it aired live on CBS). It was fun to watch and compare with the original.

256. Answers to Nothing: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - The stories of several people in L.A., set against the backdrop of a girl who's been kidnapped. An enjoyable and engaging movie. I especially liked seeing Dane Cook in a dramatic role. This is the kind of movie that looked like it would have done better if it had higher profile stars.

257. Capitalism: A Love Story: (✩✩✩✩½) - Live TV - A documentary film by Michael Moore. This time, he takes on the evils of capitalism. It's entertaining and his case is compelling, but I'm willing to leave a little room for a bit of bias and incompleteness on his part. It's worth watching whether you agree with him or not and it gives you a lot to think about.

258. The Notorious Bettie Page: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - The story of pin-up model Bettie Page. Stars Gretchen Mol, who was willing to appear fully nude. She captured Bettie's look as well as her signature poses very well.

The movie itself was mostly in black and white and transitioned to an old-style technicolor look much later in the run. The story was a good one and dealt with the morality and immorality of doing pin-up work and as well as Page's personal struggles in doing so.

Theatre: 14
DVD/Blu-Ray: 96
Live TV: 102
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 37
Internet: 4
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote