View Single Post
Old September 15 2012, 05:21 AM   #359
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile
Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Halliwell wrote: View Post
See. I knew it wouldn't take you long to come in here to tell me how wrong I am and how my facts are wrong. You know because you were my favorite author I let you make me think that some how if I disagreed with your opinions that I was the one wrong.
My opinions have nothing to do with this. Fact and opinion are two entirely separate things. Opinions are personal and nobody can take them away from you, but facts are objective, and nobody has the right to support their opinions by distorting or misrepresenting the facts. If you say "I like Janeway and prefer to read stories about her," that is an opinion and I can't argue with it. But if you say "The people who disagree with me are incapable of changing their minds" -- in the very thread where several of them have already declared that they changed their minds -- then that is simply, unambiguously wrong.

But clearly you're prejudiced to see an argument based in objectivity as some kind of further persecution against you, so there's no point in continuing this conversation.

Violet.Phoenix wrote: View Post
I think of it like this:

a) half from each parent (let x represent the Q's power):

1/2x + 1/2x = x

So q ends up with the same amount of power as each of his parents.

b) full potential of each parent:

x + x = 2x

But in this case he would have twice his parents' power.
Why not x * x = x^2? Or... dare I say it... Q Squared?
Pot calling the kettle black much? You're calling me prejudiced? No, I have to disagree. If I was as prejudiced as you claimed I never would have bought Full Circle and Unworthy when they first came out of either of the two DTI books. Because my prejuice for how Janeway's death in Before Dishonor and my feelings towards your words here on the BBS would have kept me from buying them. I have the ability to be open minded enough to listen to other peoples words instead of being on the trigger to shoot them down.

Again nothing you have said tonight is anymore right than anything I said. You like facts let that one sink in.

Beyer is now my favorite author not because of my opinion of you or her personally. It's because Full Circle and Eternal Tide has helped me more than just entertain me. I've experienced the loss of my Uncle and Aunt and best friend all in three years time. I went through phases of grief that is portrayed in Full Circle and the hope there is something better after we die in Eternal Tide. That's why I enjoy reading your work so much. The books the two of you write both entertain me and also make me think. You're still one of my favorite writers. But I disagree with how you've handled yourself in the Janeway discussions over the last few years.

I guess I'm going to end this discussion tonight by telling myself...

Dismissed. That's a Starfleet expression for Get Out.

Goodnight.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote