View Single Post
Old September 15 2012, 04:07 AM   #24
ClayinCA
Commodore

Re: The Pointlessness of the Doctor's "death"

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
as another famous science fiction Doctor from Kentucky once said "What you always do. Turn death into a fighting chance to live"
He's from Georgia, surely?

Starkers wrote: View Post
I have a lot of issues with some of the choices RTD made over the years, but sometimes I really don’t think he gets as much credit as he deserves for bringing back a show with that much history without either A/ rebooting it completely, or B/ avalanching the viewer with so much information early on that they give up before you have a chance to hook them. Removing the Timelords from the equation was part of this, and added an interesting ‘last of his kind’ vibe.
Entirely agreed. And as RTD said, the whole point of the Time War/Last of the Time Lords thing was to give the new series its own, distinctive mythology apart from that of the original series. I think it did this splendidly, and frankly I think the Doctor is much more interesting as the only Time Lord in existence (depending on whether or not the Master is around that week) than he was as one of a whole planetful.

Having said that, I do miss Romana....
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote