View Single Post
Old September 15 2012, 01:52 AM   #84
Fleet Captain
Re: Ewww.. SGU let's have some freaking protocol

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Yeah, Col. Young seemed to have an attitude tailor made for alienating the civilian population. And since Dr. Rush seemed to be their best, if not ONLY, chance of surviving and getting home, I was surprised that Col. Young didn't try harder to stay on Rush's good side. Granted, Rush was probably always going to be a shifty bastard no matter what. But Young could have at least put in an effort to try to get Rush to trust him, which would have been better for everyone.

And on the list of bad leadership, I would also include Col. Telford, who also seemed hellbent on antagonizing everyone, including the military personnel.

Now, I suppose we're not supposed to judge them all too harshly because they're in such dire circumstances. But I would think, were I in a life or death situation like that, I would be more like Dr. Rush and work the damn problem instead of addressing all of the petty, irrelevant personal squabbles; which seemed to be the main focus of Col. Young, Col. Telford, & Camile Wray.
Telford mellowed out after he broke free of the brainwashing, at least until his bizarre personality shift in Twin Destinies. I would've gladly taken him as the military commander before he took his asshole turn. Varro would've been a good replacement for Young as well, although it would've been hard to see how the military would've accepted him.

But yeah, everyone should've tried to at least put as much effort into figuring things out as Rush did, if they weren't going to work with the guy at all. No one else seemed to do anything unless it was plot required, which made Rush seem all the more justified in his dickishness.
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.