View Single Post
Old September 14 2012, 05:44 PM   #127
Christopher
Writer

Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
It doesn't make much sense to me. The movie universe is the only reason this series is made in the first place. Without it, a SHIELD series is just a series about regular spies, isn't it? It's a bit like doing a Gotham Central series without any reference to Batman or Commissioner Gordon.
There was a critically acclaimed comic for a while called Gotham Central, which was about the officers of the Gotham PD, trying to do their jobs in a world where Batman and supervillains existed. Certainly Batman and Gordon were referenced, but the series was about what happened when Batman wasn't around, or after he'd done his thing and swung off into the shadows. There's also a long-running comic called Powers based on the same idea, exploring how ordinary cops cope with doing their jobs in a world where superhumans exist and constantly battle each other; there's already been one effort to bring Powers to television, and I believe a second attempt is in development. The TrekBBS's own Keith R. A. DeCandido has written a book called SCPD: The Case of the Claw, which is the first in a series of novels dealing with that same idea. There's also Marvel's Damage Control, a series about a company that cleans up the messes left by superpowered battles.

Heck, you could even count My Super Ex-Girlfriend as part of the genre of stories about superhero universes told from normal people's perspective. We've seen countless stories about the heroes themselves; surely it's also worth exploring the stories of everybody else, the people who have to cope with being normal in a world of superbeings. Whedon has said as much about this show:
"Well, what does S.H.I.E.L.D. have that the other superheroes don't? And that, to me, is that they're not superheroes," said Whedon. "But they live in that universe. Even though they're a big organization, that [lack of powers] makes them underdogs, and that's interesting to me."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote