View Single Post
Old September 14 2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: Lincoln Full Trailer

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
What I didn't like was the tendency in the trailer to have so many fades.. that we can't watch more than three seconds of action play out before we are enveloped in total darkness. This trend happens all the time in trailers and is not limited to this film, but it usually happens in trailers for movies that think of themselves as somehow more important or more deserving. I hate it. Are they afraid to just let us watch something? Are they afraid of brave trailer editing that I think was actually much better five years ago than it is now?
What would you have preferred, a techno soundtrack with cuts every half second?
Obviously, no. But I would have preferred to actually see something. I'm sure that probably one quarter of the actual running time of this trailer is a black screen or a screen that is almost black. These scene transitions take precious seconds away, and they are more precious because we are only talking about two minutes or less of screen time - and some of that is taken away by titles and all of that. But it seems that the current strategy is to show a shot, one shot, to give us merely a glimpse of it, then fade it into black, then fade in another single shot, face that into black.. the actual time for fading is not only wasted time (I will saw that fading can be a useful tool in a trailer but like all tools it should be used sparingly and wisely) but even fading back to another shot is also something that takes a lot of time. What's more disturbing is that these fades often don't lead to more than a few seconds, may a single shot or two shots, of screentime. My eyes are just adjusting to a shot and then it fades out. These trailer editors are trying to hurt my eyes or something.