View Single Post
Old September 13 2012, 11:37 PM   #339
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everret wrote:

I've not heard any problems thus far (now that the 7.1 audio channel mapping has been corrected). I sometimes watch an episode in my kitchen in PCM 2.0 via an HDMI switcher connected to my Blu-ray player in my main viewing room which splits the signal.

In fact, the exact parameters for the downmix are set by the person encoding the audio in the DTS-HD Master Audio Suite software -- so it has been mixed properly for 2.0. The Blu-ray player just blindly follows those parameters. You can read more about it in the manual here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17630423/43/Downmix-to-2-0
I've mixed multi-channel audio in the past, and I have not heard of that, and I just looked at that document. No where does it say that in the same stream you can do both a multi- and stereo-channel mix. It does mention sub-channels, but so far those haven't been standardized for Blu-Ray.

But listening to a 2.0 PCM downmix of a multi-channel source on a consumer Blu-Ray or DVD player is just like listening to that source via analog RCA jacks.

You will loose information because the machine will not mix the audio as a human would mix it for true stereo.
Again, a human being (not a machine) sets the parameters for the eventual downmix... that metadata is read by the player and it sends the predetermined 2.0 downmix to the TV. To quote the manual:

"The Downmix to Stereo section of this panel allows the user to specify the appropriate parameters for the downmix as shown in Figure 7-18 ... The values specified for the L, R, C, LFE, Ls and Rs denote their respective contributions to the output mix for the Left and Right stereo channels."
The quality of the audio sent over analog RCA jacks depends, of course, on the quality of the digital-to-analog converter in the player. I agree that it certainly can sound just as good over analog cables... but then again, I never said it couldn't.