View Single Post
Old September 13 2012, 07:07 PM   #66
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: My rambling thoughts on BSG after a full series run-through

sonak wrote: View Post
Mars wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post

To be fair to Zarek, he only took control through a coup after exhausting other options. There was a string of episodes where it was repeatedly driven home that Adama was shutting him out and refusing to deal with him despite repeated attempts from Zarek.

Where Zarek lost a lot of legitimacy was when he just murdered the quorum in cold blood for no reason. Up until that point, I think that he had the high ground considering what a dictator Adama was becoming.

But of course they had to make him a murderous thug because the audience was supposed to be rooting for Adama.
Zarek is a particular creature known as a Demigog, he uses and manipulates the electoral process to achieve his ends, and when that process no longer works for him, he uses other means.

yes, that's what they made him out to be, because had they made him a principled democrat trying to take back the power from an autocrat then we couldn't have our little "good vs. evil" mutiny story, could we?
Except Zarek was a bastard from his first appearance in season 1 and the mutiny didn't have squat to do with taking power back from an autocrat, it was basically humans don't like Cylons so they don't want upgrades to their ships from rebel Cylons so they can keep running from the totally psychotic man-child who wants them all dead.

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I always thought Roslin's habit of ordering cylons to be chucked out of airlocks was one of the worst things about her character. Her vindictiveness showed up quite regularly. I don't know whether she was supposed to be the one who made the hard decisions but I reckon if you sentence someone to death, you should be the one who presses the button.
To be fair the Cylons did kind of kill the vast majority of humanity and were hunting them down to finish the job plus they did come back from the dead for most of the series.