View Single Post
Old September 13 2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone read these fantasy and urban fantasy series?

There are some alternate places in the series where you could jump on if it's necessary, but K:TB isn't one of them. It originated as a PC game tie-in to the Riftwar books, and the author took the game material and turned it into novel fodder. Unfortunately, it shows. There were three Krondor books (so far), and each one gets progressively more by-the-numbers and repetitive and, well, game-ish. They do have their moments, but that's about it. Besides, their significance to the series is limited to the setup of a couple of very minor plot points appearing in the later Serpentwar books (which I believe were actually written first).

The books feature a number of existing Riftwar characters, but some of them have pointless walk-ons that will have no significance for you, and others are featured so heavily they'll be ruined for you by the time you go back to the original Riftwar books.

No, start with Magician if you possibly can. In earlier printings that book was broken up into two volumes, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. I have no idea how it's distributed for the Nook. The following books are Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon, which comprise the balance of the Riftwar series proper. By the way, these books cover about twelve years of character time.

There's a tie-in series set around the same time, the Empire series by Feist and Janny Wurts. Those three books are Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire and Mistress of the Empire. These books show what's going on on the "other side" of the Riftwar, in more ways than one. They aren't really essential reading, though, so you can skip them if necessary.

Going by strict chronological order, this is where you could read K:TB and the others, as they're set about ten years after the end of the Riftwar. Or you can skip them with impunity.

The next pair of books, are set twenty and thirty years after the Riftwar, respectively (or beginning ten years after K:TB). They're informally known as the "Krondor's Sons" series and consist of Prince of the Blood and The King's Buccaneer. Each of these books is a standalone and either one could probably be skipped. However, they do set up some things and introduce some important characters for the following series. This is especially true for The King's Buccaneer.

The following series, the Serpentwar series, is set about 25 years after the end of The King's Buccaneer or something like 55 years after the end of the Riftwar. It covers about 5 years of time and consists of four novels: Shadow of a Dark Queen, Rise of a Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King, and Shards of a Broken Crown. If you had to start somewhere other than the Riftwar proper, I'd start here.

The next series is set something like 30 years after the Serpentwar. This series is the Conclave of Shadows and consists of three books. However, I've only read the first one, Talon of the Silver Hawk. Beyond that is the Darkwar series with books I can't even name, so my advice has to end here.

Feist wrote these books to flesh out a quasi-historical rolegame he played with his friends back in the day. His game was set about 500 years later, so these books basically form the backdrop for the game. A lot of the characters are long-lived either naturally or through artificial means, so they show up more often than you'd think despite the amount of time that passes.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote