View Single Post
Old September 13 2012, 01:16 AM   #69
Captain Atkin
Commander

Re: Supergirl Animated Movie

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

I know that Peter O'Toole was in Supergirl, which isn't hard to remember at all, since he is a world-famous actor with multiple Oscar nominations. Do I remember the name of his character without cheating? No.

But so what? It's neither here nor there. As I've already said, in movies with so many problems to begin with, what is your basis for picking on this one thing?

Furthermore, by your own admission, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider lacked your special element, yet it was actually a success. You've actually provided evidence against your own claim that this element you're picking on is a determining factor for success.
My own admission? I never said Laura Croft wasn't a super hero

I think Laura Croft fits in comfortably in the "grey area" that Catwoman fits in. Laura is a hero when she wants to be, and often does heroic deeds, even though she also has her own interests at heart.

Laura Croft was a financial success, and although she is a video game character, I would argue that she is a modern day superhero. Same goes with Alice from Resident Evil. Laura Croft has also appeared in plenty of comics over the years. The 2nd Tomb Raider didn't do as well financially, and we never saw a third.
The issue I was referring to was whether Lara Croft was successful. You inappropriately lumped it in with failures.

And yeah, this sidebar is irrelevant and pointless, so I'm done with it.
I never once said that Tomb Raider was a failure. Go back and read what I said. I listed her with the other super-heroine films (which just happened to be failures) because I was making a point that there was no memorable male characters in any of those super-heroine films. I wasn't basing my point on financial success when I made that statement, although I can see how you may have interpreted it that way based on my previous posts. Point being, none of the "super-heroine" films have had memorable male characters. They have been weak and in need of protection (like Jimmy Olsen - a Superman character), or forgettable (like the father in Elecktra).
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote