View Single Post
Old September 12 2012, 10:03 PM   #54
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Re: Supergirl Animated Movie

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yeah, but wouldn't badly written characters of either sex turn off viewers of either sex? Why even make it a gender issue if you're actually talking about the quality of character writing?
The Dark Knight Rises is a film with strong performances from all of the male and female characters, that encourages repeat viewings. All of the characters are strong and well written. The Amazing Spider-Man also had a strong male/female dynamic. For the life of me, I cannot think of a single female supehero movie where this is the case. Supergirl? Halle Berry's Catwoman? Tomb Raider? Electra? Men are often dumbed down in these films. If that isn't sexism, I don't know what is.
Supergirl tanked for all sorts of reasons that had nothing to do with male/female dynamic. Electra failed for all sorts of reasons, too. I can't speak about the others in your list because I haven't seen them, however cursory research indicates that while a critical failure, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider was a box office success. I don't believe you've demonstrated that lack of male/female dynamic was a problem with those films.