View Single Post
Old September 12 2012, 03:58 PM   #98
Christopher
Writer

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

There's one issue in particular I'm still wondering about. According to my father, his former teacher, the late composer Scott Huston, ghostwrote the scores for a couple of TOS episodes. There was a Cincinnati Enquirer interview with Huston sometime in the '80s, before his death, that also asserted this, clarifying that they were scores credited to Alexander Courage and were written in 1968 when Courage was on an "extended European vacation." I later learned that Courage had something of a falling out with Roddenberry over the latter's insistence on adding lyrics to the theme song so that he could get half the royalties on sheet-music sales, or something like that, which makes it credible that he could've asked someone else to ghostwrite the scores. And the two original third-season scores credited to Courage, "The Enterprise Incident" and "Plato's Stepchildren," use Courage motifs but do not sound like the work of the same composer who did the pilots, "The Man Trap," and "The Naked Time," although they're definitely by the same composer as each other.

I asked Jeff Bond about this over e-mail some years ago, but he said he'd been unable to find any proof of this. I'm wondering if anything more has been discovered about the authorship of those episode scores in the course of researching this project. I keep thinking I should look into it myself, maybe try to get in contact with Huston's estate through the University of Cincinnati's College Conservatory of Music, where he taught for many years (and which was also the alma mater of TOS composer George Duning). But I'm just about to get to work on a new novel and I don't think I'll have the chance to research it anytime soon. Really, I should've done it years ago.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote