View Single Post
Old September 12 2012, 05:41 AM   #39
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Top Ten Worst Episodes?

EEE wrote: View Post
Interesting how over half of Star Trek is hated by Star Trek "fans." Times have changed.
Actually, there is an interesting point in there. I have been a Star Trek fan all my life
(I mean Star Trek, not NextGen or Deep9 or any of the other spinoffs)
but it is a fact that some of the original episodes were terrible. That fact came as something of a shock to me as I grew up and started to realize it, maybe around when I entered my teens. As I've grown older I've only become pickier, or maybe more sensitive/embarrassed about the flaws in even the above-average episodes. My list of episodes that are actually "good", good without reservation, grows shorter. Nowadays, I curmudgeonly might qualify less than a third or a fourth of the episodes as "good".

And yet I love it.

Why do I love it so much? What do I love about it?

Our love for the series, the original series, is disproportionate to the quality of the episodes. What's another way to say this? We love TOS more than we love any individual episode. Somehow TOS is better than any of its episodes. Its crappiest episodes do not drag it down. How is that possible? What do we love about it?
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote