View Single Post
Old September 12 2012, 12:18 AM   #335
tomswift2002
Captain

Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Mott the barber wrote: View Post
This may be a dumb question, but if I only have two speakers and I set to the 7.1 instead of the stereo, will I be loosing so much of the sound on the 7.1 that it's worth it for me to just keep it on the overall lower quality stereo mix?
In my opinion, no. The bitrate of the DD 2.0 track is only 192kbps. The HDMI handshake with your TV (I'm assuming you're connected via HDMI to a TV with two speakers) tells the Blu-ray player's decoder to take the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track and output stereo LPCM (i.e. uncompressed) when the TV's EDID (Extended display identification data) shows it to have a 2-channel audio sink profile.

So, to boil it down... it's best to choose the highest quality audio available and let the player decide how to handle it based on what it's connected to.
Thanks Max. I didn't realize the hdmi would automatically decode what speaker setup I have. I have exactly what you described.

Actually you will have audio problems because, and it doesn't matter what the bit rate is, the audio in a 7.1 mix has not been mixed properly for a 2.0 stereo playback. One thing too remember with 5.1 or 7.1 or higher is that each channel is a mono channel (even stereo is 2 synchronized mono channels), so unlike a 2.0 mix, when your Blu-ray/DVD player is downconverting to 2.0 you will loose any pans and sweeps across the sound field, unless they are on the original front left and front right channel. Even voices may appear to be not fully there because the player is trying to do its own mix into the two front channels from the other 3 or 5 channels.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote