View Single Post
Old September 11 2012, 12:42 PM   #959
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Just stepping back to the big picture for a second:

Back when I saw Fellowship of the Ring, I watched it with someone who had never read the books. He expressed surprise that they killed of Gandalf so early when it would have made sense to do it in the second movie after everyone had become truly acquainted with him. Not wanting to spoil the fact that he comes back, I pointed out that the books start with the Hobbit, so it really was the second movie.

I'm wondering if the movies are built so you can watch the Hobbit first. On the one hand, the basic narrative story is probably capable of supporting a viewing of the Hobbit first. On the other hand, they seem to be using a framing story which might make it more difficult. I wonder if they're approaching this to make the Hobbit accessible if you watch it first or with the assumption that you'll watch "An Unexpected Journey" fourth.
The framing story aspect is interesting, I wonder how they are going to do it. Bilbo starts writing There and Back Again at the beginning of Lord of the Rings, and had finished it by the time Frodo arrived at Rivendell.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote