View Single Post
Old September 11 2012, 12:26 AM   #50
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

Re: Gaping Hole of Troiyus

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Whether or not they were called replicators, the simple fact is they were only shown to provide food, nothing else. Sure, in Catspaw, we were told the Enterprise could create gemstones, but we were never told how or how long that would take. There was no indication they would come from the wall slots. Scotty called them "Food synthesizers" in Tribbles, yes? I was always of the mind they weren't creating food as much as delivering it. There were too many references to "the galley." I envisioned people making food and storing it. Then when you placed your order in the slot, it was beamed in or something. The food slots seemed a tad too magical for me sometimes.

If you want to put TNG era names on it, then call it the Food Replicator, because they were never shown to create anything else (food includes drinks, by the way).

No gaping hole in that regard, sorry.
No, Scotty called them food processors.

Courtesy of the website: http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/42.htm

[Rec room]

(There are tribbles on the walls, the floor, the tables, even as chess pieces. Kirk gets a tray from the food dispenser. It has tribbles on it.)
KIRK: My chicken sandwich and coffee. This is my chicken sandwich and coffee.
SPOCK: Fascinating.
KIRK: I want these off the ship. I don't care if it takes every man we've got, I want them off the ship.
(Scott enters, carrying an armful of fluff.)
SCOTT: They're into the machinery, all right, and they're probably in all the other food processors too.
KIRK: How?
SCOTT: Probably through one of the air vents.
SPOCK: Captain, there are vents of that type on the space station.
KIRK: And in the storage compartments. (goes to a table monitor) This is Kirk. Contact Manager Lurry and Nilz Baris. Have them meet us near the storage compartments. We're beaming down. Come on, Spock.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote