View Single Post
Old September 10 2012, 11:37 PM   #104
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek 2 Has A New Title?

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Dark is defnitely an entertainment fad, but there's dark and then there's dark. Nobody wants to pay $12 to get depressed a la nuBSG.
In this case the likes of the Nolan Batman films are a better example, as they've done well at the box office (and Pine IIRC has said in interviews they're not going the whole Batman darkness route). I think what they may be going for in STID is, I don't know, the way trilogies usually stuff the difficult stuff into the second movie - Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight, The Two Towers. Things get worse before they have any chance of getting better. Or the crew, now united and serious about the job, faces something that really tears at him. Given that they blew up Vulcan in the first movie I wouldn't be surprised if our heroes are really put through the wringer.

Joker wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
We need a show like Star Trek that looks to a brighter future...
Ugh.

Fan jizz.
So you watch Star Trek because?

I mean sure, maybe it's because you really like space battles or you like well characterized people being in space or... I don't know, pointed sideburns.

But Star Trek's optimism is a thing and has been a draw to the franchise for a long time. Presumably if a new Star Trek movie didn't have whatever it was exactly you considered fundamental to why you like the franchise, you wouldn't be happy.

I think Abrams did a pretty good job here, personally, in the first film. It has an upbeat, can-do attitude about it.