View Single Post
Old September 10 2012, 09:42 PM   #82
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

teacake wrote: View Post
Wow. That sounds pretty weird. I mean sure Kirk, Spock, McCoy is a friendship of the ages but what does that have to do with people's need for romantic and sexual relationships? Now you can ship them that way with each other or give them women.. but either way these men will have needs that straight friendship cannot fulfill. It sounds like some people are elevating friendship to the level of the Victorian "romantic friendships" which seem a little odd to us today. All those intense feelings, and yet chaste.

Also.. fandom is supposed to be fun!

I like TOS Uhura better as well, probably because she is older. But I have high hopes for Zoe in the next movie TOS Uhura is sassy at times and you can see Zoe has that too.
That's right! Fandom is supposed to be fun. I personally don't mind if someone else wants to see Chekov, Scotty, and Sulu riding a pony together, just as long as it's not the end of the world if someone else prefers that they ride a hippo. I just think it's nice if we're all accepting.

And I have faith in Zoe this time around too. She does have the sass that original Uhura displayed at times, but she doesn't quite have the grace. Zoe used to be a ballerina, and ballerinas are graceful, so I've got hope a-plenty.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Hey, I put that link there so people will poke around!

And, yeah, I seriously need to update that website. It's missing the Dark Knight Rises book, the upcoming Leverage book, the next Star Trek book, etc. Plus, sad to say, two of those cats are no longer with us . . . although I can't bring myself to delete their photos yet.

And that's a really old photo of Lyla, too, although I'm probably never going to change it. That's such a great photo of her!

As soon as I get out from beneath some pressing deadlines, I'll take an evening off to update it, I promise!
Sorry to hear about the loss of your pets, I know that can be very hard. It's nice that you still have their pictures up. And I wouldn't take down that photo of Lyla either. It's beautiful. I look forward to your updates. Do you have any short stories, or something like that? I like to take baby-steps in getting used to an author.
Thanks. For an update, Lyla is six years old now and a bit jowlier. We just got back from our morning walk and I'm now playing fetch with Sophie while gearing up to get some serious writing done.

[This concludes the OT Pet report.]

Regarding short stories, I've had stories published in a number of Trek anthologies, including Seven Deadly Sins, The Sky's The Limit, Enterprise Logs, Mirror Universe: Glass Empire, and Star Trek: The Amazing Stories. Thanks for asking and feel free to check them out!

Meanwhile, I have a very Uhura-centric novel, The Weight of Worlds, coming out from Pocket Books next year . . . .
Thanks for the pet update. Writing is a discipline, isn't it? I've never done any serious writing, but I do know that I never liked having to write for a deadline in school. My hat's off to you, and I look forward to hearing more about your Uhura book. I'll be looking into those shorts you mentioned.

Shanndee wrote: View Post
"You know what's funny, though? I don't know if it was a shipper war or not. The people that claimed that Spock couldn't, just couldn't, be with Uhura were very hard about it absolutely just having to be Kirk/Spock/McCoy as a friendship pairing that was dubbed "The Triumvirate." They went into all kinds of stuff about id, ego, and super-ego and how they needed each other and had to be together and never have any women in their lives or a family." (By S/U Fan)

I've come across these types as well. I love "the Triumvirate" as much as the next person, and I do want to see more of McCoy in the next movie...but not at the exclusion of everything else.

I tried to point out that everyone has their own id, ego, and superego and we all work towards healthy work relationships, friendships, and romantic relationships (usually without any of the relationships suffering too much). If these 3 men were operating without this ability they weren't particularly well rounded individuals and probably shouldn't be working in a stressful environment like Starfleet. But none of them even acknowledged the point!

So, don't worry about them and continue to enjoy your own thing S/U Fan!
Thank you very much, Shanndee. I think some people are never going to acknowledge the point. I tried too. Each one of them should be well-rounded and three-dimensional characters. It shouldn't be a case of three one-dimensional characters acting together to make one whole and fully three-dimensional person, but if that's what some people are into, then okay. I just have a problem with being told that I'm wrong for liking something different.

Now, on to some fun.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote