View Single Post
Old September 10 2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now

Re: London 2012 Paralympics

I saw what I could of the Paralympics on Channel 4. The opening ceremony with Stephen Hawking and Ian McKellen was astounding, and I also enjoyed the closing ceremony with Coldplay.

The sporting events themselves were utterly thrilling. So many great moments, but my personal highlights were the Women's 34-point 4x100m Medley Relay swimming final, which had one of the closest finishes I've ever seen in a swimming final, as well as the image of C7 table tennis gold medallist Jochen Wollmert consoling losing Brit Will Bayley. It was also amazing to see former Formula 1 driver Alex Zanardi's gold medals in the handbiking events over at Brands Hatch.

And of course, the athletics finals involving Oscar Pistorius, notably the 400m where he blew away the competition, and the 100m where Jonnie Peacock stole the show. The home crowd's reception to Peacock, Ellie Simmonds, Sarah Storey and David Weir (the atmosphere during the latter's track finals reminiscent of that during Mo Farah's finals) was truly heartwarming too.

Despite the (necessary) adverts, good on Channel 4 for bringing the events to UK screens with the enthusiasm that we saw. Their "Meet The Superhumans" promo, released in the weeks before the Paralympics, captured the tone and mood perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKTamH__xuQ

I continue to be Zion Ravescene...
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote