Thread: The Newsroom.
View Single Post
Old September 10 2012, 06:19 AM   #289
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Re: The Newsroom.

It shouldn't be a partisan issue. The Tea Party represents more of a threat to the Republican Party than they do to the Democrats, and moderate Republicans shouldn't just circle the wagons around a perceived attack against their party, because the attack is coming from inside the circle.

That's key right there. Will is representing people like respected six-term Indiana Senator Dick Lugar,
Lugar is not in the House of Lords, his retirement is not a tragedy.

Count Zero posted:

I thought you stopped watching early on?
I would tune in if i could some more machiavellian realism like in the Wire.

Lastly, it's a romantic comedy with some drama and a politcal slant. They are in no way obligated to be balanced or even accurate.
Tt's not a law but making a partisan hack show is much more easier then making one that takes a deeper look at US politics.

Charlie see them as a great danger. It's also an important part of the overall arc of the season because going after the Tea Party and the crazy Republicans is what gets Newsnight on Fiona's and Reese's bad side. It's also very plausible that Will would be so invested in pursuing this because he's himself a Republican (a moderate/liberal one) and sees his party taken over and shift to the right.
Italso would make sense to criticize the democrats because they are governing, therefore abusing their power the same the Bush admin did it.

Also, there was minor criticism of Obama's reaction to the Deepwater Horizon spill, though it wasn't on the news show (Gary and Kendra were arguing about it). I suppose, the show where they talked about the development of gun laws under the Obama administration can also be seen as criticism even though on Newsnight it was only used to show how Republicans/the NRA/conservatives were lying about it. Will saw it that way as well, but his date (Sloan's crazy friend with the gun and the marijuana in her handbag) thought that they had come out against guns.
Nice to know they can do that before going on air and acting like Chris Matthews instead of let's say Cenk Uygur or Dylan Ratigan.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote